In Court with Assumpta - Solomon Star News

In Court with Assumpta

11 September 2018

* Taremae PTC today
* Kwaso sentence today
* Koloale killing probe done

Taremae PTC Tuesday

Former Premier of Makira/Ulawa Province accused of misusing more than $200,000 of Central Makira constituency funding will appear again in court, Tuesday.

Hypolite Taremae who faces two counts of conversion appeared on Monday in the Honiara Magistrates’ Court and his matter was further adjourned to Tuesday.

A pre-trial conference was supposed to be conducted on his matter Monday.

Principal Magistrate Augustine Aulanga however having mentioned the matter further adjourned the pre-trial conference to Tuesday.

This is to allow the pre-trial conference to be conducted before Principal Magistrate Fatima Taeburi.

Taremae who is also the also the former Member of Parliament for Central Makira, is accused of misusing more than $200,000 from the $474,872 which was the Reforestation and Out Growers Subsidy funds granted to Central Makira Constituency in 2011 to 2013.

Taremae was the MP for Central Makira at the time of the alleged offending.

The fund that was allegedly misused by the former MP was from the Ministry of Forestry and Research that funded the reforestation subsidy to all 50 constituencies.

Anderson Kesaka of LIAN Lawyers is representing Taremae while Public Prosecutor Dalcy Belapitu appeared on behalf of the Crown on Monday.  

Kwaso sentence today

A MAN who admits to brewing Kwaso at Fishing village, East Honiara will be sentenced today in the Honiara Magistrates’ Court.

Henry Saeni Junior had pleaded guilty to one count of restriction on making liquor.

Police Prosecutor Iete Tebakota yesterday had asked the court to impose a fine of $10,000 or more for Saeni.

He told Principal Magistrate Tearo Beneteti that the Liquor Squad team want the court to impose a higher fine given that kwaso is now on the rise.

Saeni’s co-accused, Sandy Karen Timothy who is also facing similar charge is currently under a warrant of arrest after she failed to turn up on the last court date.

Her warrant of arrest will be reviewed on September 28.

Two others who were also arrested by police on the same date as Timothy and Saeni were already sentenced last month in the Honiara Magistrates’ Court.

They were sentenced to six months imprisonment.

Saeni was arrested after police raided his home at Fishing village on 22 August this year and confiscated bottles of distilled brewed kwaso and equipment used to produce kwaso.

Mr Tebakota yesterday said the total amount of kwaso in bottles confiscated from the accused is worth at $13,330.


Koloale killing probe done

POLICE investigation into the death of a man in June this year at Koloale, Honiara is now completed.

Public Prosecutor Dalcy Belapitu yesterday confirmed that investigation into the matter of Malcom Folia is now completed and they have in file full disclosures.

Folia however is yet to have a legal representation.

When asked by Principal Magistrate Tearo Beneteti if he had already sent a request for a lawyer to the Public Solicitor’s Office, Folia said yes he did.

Ms Beneteti advised Folia to keep following up on his request and further adjourned the matter to September 24.

 This is to allow more time for Folia to obtain a lawyer before the next court date.

Folia allegedly stabbed the deceased on his chest on 17 June 2018 at Koloale.

He and other boys were making jokes about their teams on the World Cup when suddenly he allegedly got angry and went home to get a knife.

The deceased who was also allegedly drinking with the group left the group earlier to his house.

It was alleged that it was on his return when he saw the accused holding a knife and another boy in their group trying to calm the accused.

The deceased was allegedly stabbed on his chest while trying to calm the accused.

It was alleged that he went back to his rented home at Koloale and was later found lying outside his home at 7pm on that same day.

He was taken to the National Referral Hospital that same evening but was unfortunately died that same night.