By MAENI COMFORT
WESTERN Province will set up a new tourism body, recently elected premier David Gina says.
It will be called Tourism Western Solomons Authority.
Mr Gina revealed this at the opening of the 10th Roviana Lagoon Festival, Monday, in Munda.
He said the establishment of the body was part of his government’s policy statement.
“The objective of the tourism authority is to encourage and promote tourism in the province,” Mr Gina said.
Western Province remains the nation’s tourism hub.
With the completion of Munda International Airport, Solomon Airlines will start its direct service from Brisbane to Munda, before flying over to Honiara, starting later this month.
Mr Gina also highlighted other policy priorities.
· Establishment of Western Solomons Arts Council, whose role and function is to preserve arts and culture, establishment of museums and preservation of taboo sites.
· Review the Vaka Tepe, Akuila Talasasa Festival of Arts.
· Open new Tourism offices in Munda and Seghe as information centres, and also coordinating, supporting local tourism investment, not only in accommodation but also identify potential environmental, cultural and historic features of the province.
· Market Western Solomons internationally by hiring a reputable marketing and promotional specialist.
· Create a Western Province website of which tourism will prominently be featured in the page.
Mr Gina said his government’s policy statement will be released in the next three weeks.
He added the policy statements will take time to be accomplished, but appeals to the people of the province to work together to realise them.
The premier commended organisers of the festival, which will continue until Friday.
Western Province to set up new tourism body
By MAENI COMFORT