The Governor General Sir Frank Ofagioro Kabui and Lady Grace Kabui will lead the order to pay respect to late Peter Tom at the Parliament Chambers this morning.
Followed by Prime Minister Hon. Rick Houenipwela and Madam Houenipwela, Speaker of National Parliament Mr. Ajilon Nasiu and Mrs Nasiu, Chief Justice Sir Albert Palmer and Lady Palmer, Former Governor Generals, Prime Ministers and Speakers, Deputy Prime Minister Hon. Manasseh Sogavare and Madam Sogavare, Cabinet Ministers, Leader of Opposition and Leader of the Independent Group
The Members of Parliament and other members of the Diplomatic Corp will also join later to pay their respect.
Before joining Parliament, late Hon. Tom had served his Church for many years as a pastor.
He was first elected to the National Parliament for West Kwaio Constituency on 5 April 2006.
He got re-elected on 4th August 2010 and again on 19 November 2014 as Member of Parliament for West Kwaio.
He diligently served the 8th, 9th and 10th Parliament representing West Kwaio until his passing on.
The late Tom was also heavily involved in Parliamentary Committee Appointments. He was a member of the;
- Health and medical services committee from 21st June 2011 to 22nd November 2011
- Public Accounts Committee from 13th October 2011 to 22nd November 2011
- Health and medical services committee from 22nd December 2014 until his passing
- Education and Human Resources Training Committee from 22nd December 2014 until his passing
- Parliamentary House Committee (Chairman) until his passing
Late Hon. Peter Tom died at the age of 54 years.
With the passing away of late Peter Tom, parliament now has only 48 MPs leading up to the lapse of the 10th parliament and upcoming national Generations early next year 2019.