Man who allegedly faked his death changes lawyer
THE man who allegedly faked his death and obtained $76,000 from a local pharmacist in Honiara has changed his legal representation.
Peter Fakaia, who faces three counts of false pretences is now engaging private lawyer, Hubert Fugui.
He was previously represented by the Public Solicitor’s Office.
Fugui informed the court that he had just received the disclosures from the prosecution before the court proceedings yesterday.
He asked for an adjournment to allow him to get instructions from his client regarding his pleas.
He said an adjournment will also give prosecution time to make amendments to the wordings of the charge.
The defence also put the court and prosecution on notice of an intended bail application on the next court date.
Public Prosecutor Jonathan Auga had informed the court that after assessing the evidence in this matter they will be making amendments to the charges.
He, however, said he is yet to hear from the Director of Public Prosecutions regarding the amendments.
Chief Magistrate Emma Garo having heard from both counsels adjourned the matter to Wednesday next week at 2.30pm.
She said this is for plea and for a possible bail application.
Prosecution was ordered to file and serve the amendment charges on the defence by Monday next week.
The filing of the bail documents by the defence to the prosecution was ordered to be done by Tuesday.
Fakaia is facing charges in relation to alleged incidents between 21 and 26 September 2019 in Honiara.
Prosecution alleged that on 21 September 2019, Fakaia attended the People’s Pharmacy at Kwaimani building at Kukum High way seeking medication.
He was assessed by the complainant and then given medication to be taken for five days.
However, the following day, Fakaia allegedly called in again at the pharmacy complaining he was allergic to the medication prescribed to him.
The accused was then given another medication and advised to see a doctor by the complainant’s assistant as the complainant was not present at that time.
About 4pm of that same day, the accused again allegedly called the pharmacy asking for any medication for allergy and later came in a blue Caldina car to collect the allergy drug.
On 23 September at about 8am, the complainant received a call through his office phone by a person who allegedly purported himself as the accused’s brother in-law.
The complainant was informed by the accused’s brother-law that the accused whom he diagnosed had died at the National Referral Hospital and was at the morgue.
The accused’s brother in-law then allegedly demanded a compensation of $10, 000 for the cause of the death.
The complainant gave $15,000 to two male person who came and met him at the Sir Kausimae Building opposite the Panatina Plaza.
Soon after that, the complainant continues to receive calls for money for food for the accused’s relatives back home and for the accused’s two tribes.
In total, the complainant allegedly gave $76,000 to the so-called relatives of the accused for the accused’s death.
It was on 26 September that the accused contacted the police after finally realising that he might have been set up by the accused.
The next day, police arrested a person who came to collect the last portion of money requested for the accused’s death.
The person upon questioning admitted that the whole scenario was a set up organised by the accused.
Using the accused’s associates, police finally arrested the accused after halting him in his vehicle at the Ranadi Roundabout.
Ruling next for former MP
THE fate of former MP for Central Makira, who allegedly misused more than $200,000 intended for his constituents in 2012 and 2013, has been deferred to next week.
Hypolite Taremae, who faces two counts of conversion, will on Monday next week know whether or not he is found guilty or not.
The judgment was listed before Principal Magistrate Fatima Taeburi yesterday and was further deferred to next week.
A notice was pinned on the magistrate’s court notice board to inform public of all the matters before Ms Taeburi being further moved to next week.
The judgment comes following a trial that commenced in September this year which saw tree farmers from his constituency giving evidence against him.
Taremae was accused of diverting more than $200,000 of the reforestation and out grower’s funds intended for his constituents to his own use.
Prosecution alleged he converted the money on two occasions, once in 2012 and again in 2013.
That was when he was the Member of Parliament for the Central Makira Constituency.
It was alleged that instead of disbursing the funds to the recipients of the reforestation and out growers’ funds who were mainly tree farmers from his constituency, he allegedly misused the funds.
Anderson Kesaka of Mauri Lawyers represents Taremae while Public Prosecutors Bradley Dalipanda and Dalcy Belapitu are prosecuting.