Tue, 25 July 2017
Last Updated: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 6am
Solomon Star
Solomon Star News - Google+ Solomon Star News - Facebook SolomSolomon Star News - Twitter

Lighting strikes boy unconscious

A CONCERNED citizen is calling on responsible authorities to provide awareness about the effects of lightning during stormy weather after a young boy was struck by lightning on Saturday when watching movie from a laptop.

According to the man, who refused to the named, the young boy in his early twenties was watching movie from a laptop with his two friends in their lodge at Gilbert Camp when the incident happened.

“The lightning struck three times.

“It was the third strike that hit the boy who was laying closest to the laptop.

“It came down following a stud of the house and struck the boy unconscious,” the man said.

The young man was rushed to the National Referral Hospital where he was kept overnight for observation. He was discharged the next day.

However, the concerned man said responsible authorities should inform the public about the precautionary measures against lightning storms.

“At the moment we are not sure how the lightning struck the boy.

“Those responsible should tell us if laptops and other appliances are risks to lighting because this is all new to us.

“Before we normally see lightning coming down along tall trees or coconuts but not like what happened on Saturday,” the concerned man said.

He said if what happened on Saturday was a result of the laptop then those selling electrical appliances should also warn people against using these products during lightning storms.

“We often buy mobile phones and electrical appliances but never heard the suppliers warning us against their use during lightning storms.

“It would be good if those selling these items also tell us about the dangers of using these items,” he said.

By LESLEY SANGA


  • Latest News

  • Most Popular