Police stand by larceny charge
POLICE prosecution are maintaining a simple larceny charge against a Malaysian man accused of stealing bulldozer parts from another man.
This was despite a proposal to withdraw the charge against the accused, Chen Tien Fang.
Police prosecutor David Tepai confirmed receiving the letter seeking to withdraw the case but added they are maintaining the charge.
He said investigators will be contacted to get two of their witnesses that are residing in Russell, Central Province.
Fang did not appear in the Honiara Magistrate’s Court on Monday as he is currently overseas.
His lawyer, John Zama said his client is overseas on an urgent matter.
Principal Magistrate Rodgers Tovosia asked Mr Zama when his client will return, but he said the trip was only made known to him during his client’s departure.
Mr Zama said he will contact Fang to know when he will arrive back in the country.
Prosecutor Tepai however said prosecution is not aware of the accused’s trip and therefore sought a warrant of arrest to be issued for the accused.
Magistrate Tovosia ordered the warrant of arrest to lie on Fang’s file and warned that if the accused failed to turn up on January 28, then the warrant will be issued for his arrest.
Police alleged that between September 30, 2008 and November 1, last year, Fang who is the Chief Mechanic of Ocean Trading Company at Ranadi, East Honiara, stole parts of bulldozers and excavators owned by Eric Lai.
It was alleged that Lai left his bulldozers and excavator at the company site in 2008.
He returned back to the site last year and saw all his machineries were thrown out in the company’s back yard in bad condition.
It was alleged that during the last four
years, Fang allegedly removed parts of the machineries which were valued at $6,329,209.68.
Rape accused to take plea
A MAN who allegedly raped his 15-year-old sister in-law in Central Province last year will take his plea tomorrow.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, faces one count of rape and one count of indecent assault.
He allegedly raped his young sister in-law, December 13, last year at Savo, Central province.
His lawyer on Monday told the court that he had received all disclosures.
Chris Rarumae of Public Solicitor’s Office however said he needs to take instructions from his client and sought an adjournment to this Friday for a plea to be taken.
The accused was further remanded in custody.
Young accused bailed
FIVE young men who allegedly trespassed into the home of a man and threatened him have been bailed on Monday in the Honiara Magistrate’s Court.
Bice Toswel, Alick Mani, Chris Sade, David Sade and Kenny Meuwa were released on a principal bail of $500.
Two other accused, Alick Sisiove and Bice Balu, were already bailed last Friday when the matter was brought before the court for remand.
All accused faces one count of intimidation, larceny, malicious damage, and three criminal trespass charges.
Police alleged that sometimes May last year the accused men went and demanded compensation from the alleged victim who resides at Tasahe B, near White River.
The accused men claimed the alleged victim assaulted one of their relatives and therefore demanded he pay compensation.
It was alleged the accused trespassed into the alleged victim’s home despite being warned not to enter the property.
They alleged intimidated the man who then left his home into the care of another man.
Police further alleged that the accused men went and threatened the caretaker and allegedly went and occupied the alleged victim’s house.
The court heard that it was not until this year that police went and arrested those men.
Whilst on bail, the men were ordered not to enter into the alleged victim’s property and to reside with their sureties.
They will be reporting to the White River police post twice a week and not to interfere with police witnesses.
The accused men are represented by Chris Rarumae
of Public Solicitor’s Office.
Warrant of arrest for taxi driver
A WARRANT of arrest has been ordered to lie on the file of the taxi driver accused of trying to rape his female passenger.
This was after the accused George Alabae did not return to court after his matter was stood down for a few minutes so he can contact his lawyer.
Alabae appeared on Monday in the Honiara Magistrate’s Court without his lawyer.
When asked if he had contacted his lawyer, Alabae said his lawyer’s mobile phone was offline.
Principal Magistrate Rodgers Tovosia then stood down the matter so that Alabae can contact his lawyer.
However, when his matter was recalled, the accused did not appear and a warrant was ordered to lie on his file.
If Alabae failed to return to court on January 28, the warrant of arrest will be executed.
Alabae faces one count of attempted rape for an alleged incident last year in Honiara.
He was supposed to drop the alleged victim at her parents’ home but instead took her to East Kolaridge where he allegedly tried to rape her in the car.
Police alleged that the girl managed to escape on foot and reported the matter to police.
His lawyer has asked the police prosecution to reduce the attempted rape charge to an indecent assault charge but prosecution maintains the initial charge.
Lawrence Kwana of Global Lawyers is representing Alabae.
|< Prev||Next >|