Cawa denies charges
A FORMER high profile Guadalcanal militant on Friday pleaded not guilty to charges laid against him in the High Court.
Ronnie Cawa was facing one count of assault causing actual bodily harm and seven counts of wrongfully concealing and keeping in confinement.
This was in relation to an incident that occurred at the height of the tension in relation to seven brothers of the Melanesian Brotherhood.
Cawa earlier indicated a plea of guilty to the offenses.
But he had since changed his mind.
This was after the prosecution did not agree to include a certain fact the defense wants to include in the prosecution’s statement of facts.
Sarah Karani of Public Solicitor’s Office who
represents Cawa yesterday said her client will only plead guilty if the facts
Justice Stephen Pallaras after noting Cawa’s not guilty pleas said he will forward the matter to the Case Listing Committee to set a trial date.
Bobongi told to find new lawyer
A FORMER Central Bank employee accused of stealing more than $200,000 of muted notes has been told to find a lawyer before February 15.
High Court judge, Justice James Apaniai issued the order when accused Philip Bobongi appeared before him on Friday.
Bobongi was left without legal representation after his lawyer John Keniapisia withdrew his service early this week for personal reasons.
His bail papers were sorted out yesterday in court, and he will be released soon after the papers are formalised.
Justice Apaniai told Bobongi to find a lawyer soon so that his case can proceed further without any delay.
He added that his case is one of the 2009 cases and the hearing should have proceeded early this week.
However, due to the problem with legal representation, the hearing was not conducted but was further adjourned for Bobongi to find another lawyer.
The Director of Public Prosecutions, Ronald Bei Talasasa informed the court that he spoke with Bobongi and told him it is important to seriously select a lawyer who is certain will maintain its representation and dispose of the matter from the beginning.
But he said that is entirely up to Bobongi and his office will help assist in that.
He added this matter had been adjourned on several occasions for years now and does not want any more delay.
Bobongi was charged with two counts of
larceny by servant and 37 counts of
He allegedly stole more than $200,000 of muted notes while he was working at the Central Bank of Solomon Islands.
Bobongi is due back in court next month for mention.
Date for pre-trial set
A PRE-TRIAL hearing will be held at the end of this month on the case of a man accused of sexually abusing a six year-old girl.
The man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the alleged victim, was charged with one count of indecent assault.
Police alleged that between May 31 last year and January 1, this year in Honiara the 23 year-old accused had been touching the private body part of the alleged victim.
The accused was known to the alleged victim’s family as he frequently visited their house while he was working for another man who resided in that particular area.
The accused allegedly entered the alleged girl’s house during the day while the alleged victim was napping in their living room and indecently assaulted her.
The Public Solicitor’s Office is representing the accused while John Palmer of Police Prosecutions Service appeared for the state.
|< Prev||Next >|