Thursday, Apr 17th

Last update:02:47:14 AM GMT

You are here: News National Beach-de-mer ban still in force

Beach-de-mer ban still in force

E-mail Print

1024x768

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

There’s still no hint of cabinet lifting the beach-de-mer ban this year.


An official from the Prime Minister’s Office said they understand public anticipation of the ban to be lifted mid this year.

However, he said a survey the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources carried out last year showed the beach-de-mer population is still low.

“Cabinet won’t life the ban until our fisheries authorities say so,” the official said.

The Solomon Star understood cabinet was set to deliberate on a paper the Ministry of Fisheries prepared on the issue.

The paper was based on the survey results done last year.

“The beach-de-mer population needs to recover well before any decision is made.

“Over-harvesting and carelessness resulted in the reduction of this high valued marine product.”

The official said Melanesian neighbours Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu had similar bans in place so the government will be doing the same.

By Elliot Dawea