THE young man accused of the killing his girl friend at Tuvaruhu, Guadalcanal province on September last year, will be taking his plea next month.
The defence counsel will also indicate to the court the form of preliminary inquiry to be conducted on this case.
Deputy Chief Magistrate Emma Garo yesterday showed her disappointment in the absence of the defence counsel representing the accused.
She said the case is getting nowhere with the ongoing absences of the defence the counsel.
This would be the fifth appearance the lawyer representing 22-year-old Brian Scorphield Alagere, did not appear in court.
Magistrate Garo said this is only for the defence to get instructions from the accused for plea and to indicate the type of inquiry to be held in this case.
She said the lawyer representing Alagere failed to show up in court for a number of appearances now and his colleagues are coming to court with no instructions of the case.
Chris Rarumae, who was present in court yesterday, assured the Ms Garo he will instruct his colleague of the court’s instructions so that a plea can be entered on the next appearance.
Magistrate Garo therefore adjourned the matter until February 11 and further remanded Alagere in custody.
Henry Kausimae of the Public Solicitor’s Office is representing Alagere whilst Fatima Taeburi of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions appeared for the crown.
Makili to call witness
PROMINENT Honiara resident Lawrence Makili will be calling a witness to testify in his trial today in the Honiara Magistrate’s Court.
Makili had made a no case to answer submission on Tuesday at the close of the prosecution case on Monday.
But the court however ruled that he has a case to answer, which saw Makili giving evidence in court yesterday.
Principal Magistrate Jim Seuika adjourned the hearing to today so that Makili can call his witness.
Makili is on trial for one count of assault causing actual bodily harm in which he allegedly assaulted his partner on the evening of June 8, last year.
This alleged assault occurred during an argument between them while in their vehicle heading home.
Makili is represented by Ronald Dive from the Public Solicitor’s Office.
Rape case returns to court tomorrow
THE case of a man accused of raping his 15 year-old niece in Honiara last year had been further adjourned to tomorrow.
This was because no lawyer had visited the accused to take instructions on the case.
The matter had come before the court on Monday and was adjourned to yesterday so that a solicitor from the Public Solicitor’s Office could take instructions from the accused for plea and the type of inquiry to be conducted on his case.
Lapi Hite of the Public Solicitor’s Office, who appeared yesterday, however told the court that the lawyer who appeared on Monday didn’t give any information about the court’s proceeding to them.
He said he was not aware of the magistrate’s instructions and therefore sought another adjournment.
He added that the lawyer representing the accused has yet to resume duties in the office and he will take on the case.
Acting deputy chief magistrate Emma Garo had the matter adjourned to tomorrow so that Mr Hite can take instructions from the accused.
The accused had been remanded in custody for 59 days without a lawyer visiting him.
Magistrate Garo told Mr Hite to visit the accused in custody and take instructions from him.
She said in that way, the case will move forward rather than having lawyers coming to court and adjourning the case.
Disclosures have already been provided to the accused’s lawyer.
But to save Mr Hite from searching for the disclosures, prosecution provided another set of disclosures to him.
accused faces one count of rape and one count of assault causing actual bodily
He allegedly raped his niece at their relative’s home in Honiara between November 22, and 30 last year.
He was also alleged to have hit her with a torch on December 9, last year injuring her head.
It was alleged this was when he brought the alleged victim back to the house after she ran away following the alleged rape.
Nelson Dhita of
the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions is representing the Crown.
Man pleads not guilty to lesser charge
A TAXI driver yesterday pleaded not guilty to a lesser charge after it has been amended from an attempted rape charge.
George Alabae denied the charge of indecent assault.
This was after police prosecution John Palmer withdrew the initial charge of attempted rape.
Alabae was accused of indecently assaulting his female passenger in November 24, last year.
Police alleged that instead of dropping her client off at her parent’s house at Tasahe, West Honiara, he allegedly took her to another location in Honiara.
He stopped the taxi and allegedly climbed on top of his passenger and tried to touch her.
Prosecution will be calling only the victim whilst the accused does not have any witness and will be defending himself in a half day trial.
The trial date will be set tomorrow afternoon before acting Deputy Chief Magistrate Emma Garo.
Lawrence Kwana of Global Lawyers is representing Alabae.
|< Prev||Next >|