His resignation came in the wake of the national soccer team’s humiliating 5-0 thrashing by New Caledonia early last week, and being stranded in Noumea after the game due to Australian visa issues.
Ngava, who had been on the job for many years, was told to resign or face the sack.
He reportedly tendered his resignation to SIFF president Martin Alufurai, which became effective as of yesterday.
Ngava failed to answer his mobile phone when the Sunday Star contacted him for comments. He also has not responded to a text message sent to him.
Alufurai had also avoided speaking to the Sunday Star when we got him on his mobile phone yesterday.
“I will come to your office for an interview,” he promised. But he never showed up.
When we finally caught up with him at his home, Alufurai said: “Come and see me at my office on Monday”.
Ngava was reportedly told to resign by the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC).
However, OFC spokesperson Tia Soakai said the matter was really between Ngava and SIFF.
“This is really an internal matter for SIFF. OFC cannot interfere with its member associations,” Soakai said.
“I suggest you speak to Martin (Alufurai) who is the senior vice preside of OFC and also president of SIFF.
“He’s the right person you should talk to; he knows all about this,” she added.
Meanwhile, members of the popular Forum Solomon Islands International (FSII) have called for the whole SIFF executive to go.
Those commenting on their facebook page said the country’s soccer has not moved forward because of the current executive.
Some said the latest poor showing by the national soccer team in their World Cup qualifying matches was a testament to the SIFF executive’s incompetence.
“The whole executive must go. They have been there for too long. They are an obstacle to soccer development,” one soccer fan said.
By Bradford Theonomi
|< Prev||Next >|