Speaker of the National Parliament Sir Allan Kemakeza welcomed all Members of Parliament in his opening address and informed them of the number of developments that took place since Parliament was adjourned Sine Die on the 29th of May 2014.
During the adjournment, the Public Accounts Committee held 20 hearings from the 6th June to 28th July on the following Performance Audit Reports:
· Managing Sustainable Fisheries (Tuna Fishery) in Solomon Islands Fisheries Exclusive Economic Zone
· National Cattle Rehabilitation Project for the Ministry of Agriculture & Livestock Development
· Management of Government Motor Vehicle Fleet
· Tertiary Scholarship Management by the Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development
· Tsunami and Earth Quake Relief Fund within the National Disaster Council under the Ministry of Home Affairs
And the following Financial Audit Reports:
· National Transport Funds 2011 and 2012
· 2012 SIBC Annual Report
· 2013 SIEA Annual Report
· 2012 Telecommunications Commission of the Solomon Islands Annual Report
· 2013 CBSI Annual Report
· 2013 Solomon Islands NPF Annual Report and its Subsidiaries
· 2010 and 2012 SIG National Accounts
· Honiara City Council 2010 Financial Statements
· SI Ports Authority 2010 Financial Statements
Sir Allan said he is looking forward to a very lively debate this meeting on the various important issues that are before Parliament.
Parliament is adjourned to Monday the 18th of August for the following reasons:
1. The arrival of the Secretary of State of the United States of America, John Kerry yesterday afternoon.
2. The production of a number of Bills at the Office of the Legal Draftsman would need time.
3. Time is also needed for the Bills and Legislation Committee.
“With those important activities, I feel that it is important to adjourn till Monday,” Prime Minister Gordon Darcy Lilo said.
The House is expected to conclude before Monday the 8th of September 2014, therefore, this 9th Parliament which began on 8th September 2010 is expected to dissolve on the 8th of September 2014.
– Parliament Media