FLOOD victims residing at the FOPA village have expressed fear at the increasing presence of police at the vicinity.
Committee chairman of Mbokonavera camp said the presence of police at the village is worrying and caused fears amongst them especially women and children.
Charles Ketea said since Thursday last week, police continued to present in numbers at the village.
“Reason(s) for their presence is unconfirmed and create panic and fear amongst the victims.
“Their mounting presence has been worrying for us and there are fears we might be chased out from the village.
“If police want to provide security at the village, they should only provide two officers and not many like we have seen since Thursday last week.
“We are still recovering physically and mentally from the situation we went through and when we see police presence of such magnitude, it does not help but creates mix feelings,” Mr Ketea said.
The chairman said they are not criminals and will never take law in their own hands as was the recent case at King George.
The Solomon Star understands police is on alert following rumours of an even bigger problem.
Solomon Star is aware that a text message police received last week has warned them of a plan to burn down the FOPA village and use dynamite explosives on certain buildings.
The announcement made by the National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) about closing the centre as of yesterday June 15, had also created anger amongst the victims.
NDMO director Loti Yates told ABC the centres will close since there is no more budget to keep running the centres.
“Therefore the NDMO had asked the people if they can go back to their home provinces or live with relatives and get some kind of repatriation assistance.”
But this does not go down well with the victims who argued that they will not leave until the land promised to them is given so that they can move and start building houses.
Solomon Star understands the victims were given an extended period until 31st this month to leave.
The chairman Mr Ketea said the NDMO director told them last week they can stay until 31st June.
“We will not move out until the land promised to us is allocated.”
Meanwhile he said there are two choices if the centres are closed.
“Provide the land, give us tents and tools and we can rebuild our lives, or keep insisting for proper and fair relocation and repatriation.”
By Daniel Namosuaia