A MAN who pleaded guilty to burning down a house in northwest Guadalcanal earlier this year was jailed for three years on Tuesday.
This is not the first time accused Sam Nasareno was convicted of an arson charge.
He has a previous conviction with a suspended jail term of 18 months.
Chief Magistrate Emmanuel Kouhota told Nasareno that he should have learnt something from that sentence but instead in about a period of one year he committed the same offence again.
Nasareno pleaded guilty to burning down a house on the afternoon of 4 March 2015 at Tomba, Northwest Guadalcanal.
The house was a permanent building which was almost complete, only the doors to the rooms, louvers, a walling to one of the sleeping rooms are yet to be completed.
The court heard that among the properties burnt in the fire were four mattresses, clothing, artefacts and other personal properties.
The complainant was away from home at that time and the house was empty but locked.
The accused however, forced the door open and went into the house where he took a match and lit the fire using sticks.
“He then took some firewood and a mattress and made a fire on a metal sheet on the veranda of the house.
Nasareno stayed for a short while and then left while the fire continues burning.
Mr Kouhota told Nasareno he gave no explanations for his actions but said he was sure Nasareno would have foreseen the consequences of his action.
“I take into account there was no potential injury to anyone as the house was empty at that time but this does not in any way make the offence any less serious.”
Having taking into account both the aggravating and mitigating factors, he imposed the sentence to which he said is one of deterrence.
The time Nasareno spent into custody was also taken into custody.
Allan Tinoni of the Public Solicitor represented Nasareno while Public Prosecutor Ishmael Kekou appeared for the State.
By ASSUMPTA BUCHANAN