THE country recorded 288 additional positive COVID-19 cases in the last 48 hours from Sunday up to mid yesterday bringing the total to 9412.
This was announced by the Minister of Health and Medical Services (MHMS) Dr Culwick Togamana during his situational COVID-19 update in the country last night.
“From 2pm Sunday to 12pm on Tuesday 288 new additional positive COVID-19 cases have been recorded in the past 48 hours.
“This now brings the total accumulative cases to 9412 being recorded so far.”
He did not reveal the total number of deaths for the same period.
However, he highlighted there are deaths occurring Malaita, Makira and Isabel.
Of the 288 new cases Western Province recorded 181 new cases in the past 72 hours.
Other provinces; Honiara – 20 (past 48 hours), Guadalcanal – 7, Malaita-10, Central – 2, Choiseul – 8, Makira – 46 and Renbel – 14.
There was no report from Isabel. Temotu remains COVID-free, he added.
Minister Togamana said he was unable to provide the update on Monday night because the Oversight Committee has provided the update on Sunday.
Not only that but he had joined a high level delegation from the Ministry to travel to Aola to open the new area health centre there on Monday.
Meanwhile, the minister had thanked and saluted the public, health workers and stakeholders for their support in the fight against COVID-19.
He said this week marks the two months since the outbreak was first declared.
He said based on their analysis, although cases continue to be recorded, its decreasing.
And therefore Minister Togamana appeals to members of the public not to let their guards down but continue to apply safety measures and health protocols when out in the public.
He said the virus is still out there.
He encourages those who are yet to get their jab to do so.