REPORTS have surfaced that the ban on beche-de-mer will be lifted today.
A government source revealed to this paper that supervising Minister of Fisheries, Clay Forau will today sign the regulations to have the ban lifted, after it had been approved by Cabinet last month.
The source said that this was after Prime Minister Gordon Darcy Lilo allegedly interfered in the issue and directed the Attorney General to hand over the regulations for Mr Forau to sign.
He said the Cabinet last month approved a management plan and that the ban was just pending the regulations which will now be signed by Mr Forau today.
Mr Forau is currently the supervising Minister of Fisheries as Alfred Ghiro (Fisheries Minister) is still away on his Constituency tour.
Mr Forau could not be reached for comments on the matter yesterday.
When asked the Prime Minister’s Office denied any knowledge of such, adding that Cabinet has yet to meet and make a decision on the matter.
Meanwhile the Prime Minister and his delegation left for Australia on Thursday to attend a Business forum.
By JEREMY INIFIRI