A LOCAL Chinese businessman yesterday dismissed claims he had instructed his employee to threaten vendors to move out of the fishing village market before Friday or their market tables will be destroyed.
James Fang, a naturalised citizen of Chinese origin, dismissed the claims after he was visited by angry vendors who wanted to know if the claims came from him.
Vendors have previously told this paper that a person by the name of Ologa made the threats.
Vendors thought he was an employee of Mr Fang, but they later found out he had been residing in the Fishing village market area
“These claims are totally not true,” Mr Fang said.
“At no such time did I threaten any of the vendors at the fishing village market. Also, at no such time did I collect fees from vendors despite most of them sitting right in front of my entrance,” he added.
He said the person who made the threats was not even an employee of his, however was still residing in Mr Fang’s area.
“This Ologa guy is not even an employee of mine. He has been residing in the area which I had already took and refused to leave until he is paid,” Mr Fang said.
Mr Fang however conceded that he had instead asked Ologa to try and talk to vendors to have them vacate the area.
“I asked if Ologa could facilitate handing out $300 to each table and have them clear the front entrance of my new shopping complex so that I can be able to see clients wishing to come rent the rooms in this new complex.
“That was very much how I had instructed Ologa to inform the vendors, however how it turned out was different,” Mr Fang said.
Mr Fang however said that he was happy that the vendors themselves came to see him about the matter and have eventually come to a compromise.
Spokesperson of the vendors, Mambo Fangaria meanwhile said he was grateful to Mr James Fang for adhering to the people and wanting to help them (vendors).
More than 60 plus market tables belonging to vendors are at the fishing village market, with vendors mostly taking shifts at the tables.
By JEREMY INIFIRI