A FAMILY remain homeless after their home was burnt down on Monday morning.
The family from Ambu village, near Auki, Malaita province escaped unhurt while they lost all their belongings in the fire.
Provincial Police Commander in Auki, Alfred Uiga said, the permanent home went up in flames giving the family no time to save any valuable property.
He said, the incident happened about 9 am on Monday morning.
Mr Uiga said, the fire was believed to have started from an electrical fault.
The police boss said unfortunately, police were unable to assist in putting out the flames since they do not have fire-fighting equipment.
He said the villagers bravely fought the flames using water from their water tanks and Dalgro company water-tank truck to prevent the flames from catching on to other residential homes at the village.
Mr Uiga had cautioned village residence of Ambu village who install electricity power connections to their homes to ensure the installation is safe from causing electrical accidents.
By GEORGE MANFORD