MINISTER of Health and Medical Services, Dr Tautai Agikimua Kaitu’u says work on the two operating theatres at National Referral Hospital have completed.
Dr Kaitu’u confirmed this when asked by Member of Parliament for West Makira, Derrick Manu’ari in Parliament on Thursday on the status and cost to repair the theatres.
He said so far the major work had been completed, however small minor works and installations are yet to be done.
“And our target is to get this prohibition notice lifted by the end of this month.
“As we speak, two operating theatres are used now, while minor changes are done to third one,” he said.
The minister said once the minor changes are done, they’ll use the other one, while they repair the first one.
Furthermore, Minister Kaitu’u said they have so far expended $190,000 on the repair work and further estimate costs of $55,000 for the other work and fire extinguisher to be installed.
He said all work should be done by end of this month.
MP Manu’ari asked if the repair and maintenance will change the standard of the operating theatres.
Minister Kaitu’u said according to the compliance notice, the requirement is to repair the ceilings, tiles, water pumps and other plumbing, however the standard will still be the same.
The two operating theatres were closed since December 2015 following an inspection carried out by Health Hazard Occupation inspectors in the Ministry of Commerce.
The decision resulted in the scale down and suspension of surgical operations because only one of the three theatres is running.
By EDDIE OSIFELO