- Alleged stabber to stand trial
- Sentencing for man who assaults girl
- Arson case adjourned further
Alleged stabber to stand trial
A MAN accused of stabbing another man with a knife last November at Mbokonavera 2, Honiara will be standing trial next month.
John Whisley Kuko, 28, is facing one count of unlawful wounding.
The trial dates, February 24 through to 28, were set yesterday after a pre-trial conference was conducted before Principal Magistrate Clifton Ruele.
This matter relates to an allegation on 16 November 2019.
Prosecution alleged Kuko went to see a Constituency Development Officer (CDO) David Teva that day at his house at Mbokonavera 2, opposite the Mbokonavera community high school.
There he met the alleged victim who told Kuko that the CDO is at home in his constituency.
This allegedly made Kuko angry and he asked why non-voters were not given anything.
He then allegedly kicked a thermos and drinking cups on a table in front of the CDO’s house and picked up a knife from the same table.
It was alleged that he took the knife and then ran out of the gate to the main road with another man.
The victim and another man allegedly chased after the accused and came face to face with him on the main road.
Kuko having faced the victim, allegedly stabbed his upper hand with the knife.
He tried to escape but was apprehend by a police who resides at the same area and was taken to the police station where he was formally arrested and charged.
Steven Weago from the Public Solicitor’s Office is representing Kuko while Police Prosecutor Abel Maelanga appears for the Crown.
Sentencing for man who assaults girl
THE sentence of a man who indecently assaulting his wife’s five year-old niece in 2015 will be delivered, next Monday.
This followed the sentencing submissions and mitigation made in court yesterday before Deputy Chief Magistrate Ricky Iomea.
The man who cannot be named to protect the identity of the child victim was convicted after a trial of an indecent assault charge.
The incident happened on an unknown date between 1 January and 31 December 2015 at his residence in Honiara.
That was when the victim was living with her aunt, the accused and their four children.
The victim was five and attending pre-school at a community school in the same area.
In her evidence during the trial last year, she had told the court that the accused used to take her to a room, removed her clothes and sexually assaulted her.
Public Solicitor’s lawyer Daniel Kwalai is representing the accused while Public Prosecutor Dalcy Belapitu appears for the Crown.
Arson case adjourned further
THE case of five men accused of setting fire to logging machineries at Santa Cruz, Temotu Province during a logging dispute in 2018 will return to court, February 5.
This is for the prosecution and the defence to discuss the possibility of setting a new trial date.
Clement Tauto, Felix Nina, Jerry Meyoko, Titus Meoblir and Simon Meablir are accused in this case.
All except Nina, are jointly charged with arson for the alleged burning of the logging machineries.
Nina is facing charges of threat to burn agriculture property, conspiracy to commit felony and aiding and abetting.
Meoblir is also facing additional charges of conspiracy to commit felony while Meyoko also faces other charges of damage property and simple larceny.
A trial date has been fixed last year to start in February 10 through to the end of that month in Lata, Temotu Province.
However, Deputy Chief Magistrate Ricky Iomea who will be sitting in the trial in Lata will not be available to travel next month to Lata.
This was because Chief Magistrate Emma Garo is currently manning the Gizo Magistrates’ Court for a three month period.
In the chief magistrate’s absence, Iomea as the deputy chief magistrate, will be looking after the Honiara Magistrate’s Court.
Mr Iomea will therefore not able to travel to court circuits to the province at the moment.
Two Public Solicitor’s Office (PSO) lawyers who represent Tauto and Nina were not present in court yesterday to discuss the issues surrounding the possibility of setting a new trial date.
They are reportedly still on leave and are likely to resume work shortly.
As a result, this matter was adjourned to next week to allow the lawyers to attend court.
The five men were accused of burning down machineries owned by Xiang Lin Logging Company at Santa Cruz, Temotu following a dispute over the logging.
The alleged incident occurred between 7 June and 8 June of 2018.
PSO lawyers Benham Ifuto’o and Henry Kausimae represent Tauto and Nina while Lily Ramo of Dominion Lawyers represents the others.
Public Prosecutor Bradley Dalipanda is prosecuting.