KILU’UFI Hospital in Malaita has recorded a total of 40 suspected cases of measles since the outbreak was reported on August 11.
Hospital director Dr Huddie Namo said out of the total 18 patients have been put in the isolated ward for close supervision.
“Few have been well and discharged after a couple of days in the ward,” Dr Namo said.
“Those affected range from six month old babies to 30-year-old adults, mostly from the Auki area.
“So far no deaths have been recorded,” he said.
Dr Namo added that as of 20th of this month the operation measles outbreak recorded over 21 cases of suspected measles from 13 cases in the past 9 days of their first clinical cases.
“These patients came in with clinical presentation of acute fever, rash, cough, runny nose conjunctivitis and some of them even develop koplick spot while others developing mod pneumonia to dehydration,” he said.
He said there were also reports of cases in the northern, eastern, and southern regions of the province.
Dr Namo said six suspected cases were reported in the north and were put under isolation.
“The eastern region recorded cases of acute fever and rash that were more like measles, while in the southern region a health personal working there reported that there were cases seen but were sent home after treatment.”
Meanwhile, DrNamo called on parents to be proactive.
“Bring your children age 6 months to 4 years old at any local clinic ear you for vaccination whenever a measles symptom is felt.
“Only if we cooperate and work together can we contain this disease,” he said.
Malaita health service recent launched a measles campaign by raising awareness at schools, churches and in the communities.
Health workers will be visiting rural health centres in the central Malaita region to do vaccinations to children of age 6 months to 4 years old.
This is part of the Malaita province emergency operation to contain the spread of the viral disease.
By STEPHEN DI’ISANGO