THE Parliamentary Opposition Group is calling on the Ministry of Infrastructure & Development to verify whether the leaked document containing the recipients of the National Transport and Infrastructure grant are confirmed recipients.
The Opposition Group urged the ministry to verify the 35 recipients in the list which includes a good number of dubious shipping companies and a handful of Members of Parliament most of which are Government members.
The Opposition made this call following the leaked list which was published in the social and mainstream media.
According to a media report in the Solomon Star last week Friday, the Permanent Secretary of the MID said only 10 recipients have received their grants so far whilst others are still yet to do so.
“So who are the 10 people?
“Can the PS of MID let us know who these recipients are and how much they have received?
“Apart from that, the PS must also confirm whether the 35 in the list are the confirmed recipients, whether they have received their grants yet or not, the people must know the truth?” the statement said.
The leaked document also highlighted shocking details as 10 MPs are identified as beneficiaries of millions of dollars’ worth of grant with the highest allocated $5.5 million.
The Opposition Group said it is only right and for the purpose of transparency that the ministry give out full true details of the total each recipient receives.
Meanwhile, the Opposition Group adds that each MP must also be answerable to their constituents by informing them of what they would be doing with their grant.
“After all this is public funds and therefore MPs have an obligation to inform their constituents of how they will utilize their funds to benefit their people,” it said.