THE Ministry of Health and Medical Services will give priority to those with serious and mild COVID-19 symptoms as it work to address the current COVID-19 community transmission in Honiara, Ontong Java and possible threats to other provinces.
A statement from the ministry yesterday (Thursday 20th January) said those who think they have been exposed to a COVID-19 patient need to call 115 and 25256 and isolate yourself.
“Currently priority will be given to those with serious symptoms and the people with mild disease.
“Those who are asymptomatic will wait.
“If you have symptoms, put a mask and isolate yourself in your home.
The Ministry issued this statement following increasing frustration from people and health workers over the delay in getting their test results over the past two days.
However, the Ministry said this delay will continue today because the molecular laboratory at the National Referral Hospital is now stretched to capacity.
At the same time, it said tests done must not be rushed but done properly to ensure safety of lab technicians as well as for accuracy of results.
“We remain committed to address this difficult situation we are facing and we continue to seek the support from each and every one of us to strictly adhere to COVID-19 safety measures at this time of lockdown and even after,” the statement said.
The COVID-19 safety measures are;
- Frequent hand washing with soap or hand sanitizer
- Maintain social distancing of at least 2 meters outside our homes
- Limit movements within their home
- Wear face -masks if travelling outside your home.
- All outside of Honiara please move to your nearest vaccination centres and get vaccinated immediately.
- Once lockdown is lifted, and vaccination roll out in Honiara resumes, all who are yet to get vaccinated or complete their dose must do so immediately.
“Let us work together as we have done to prevent a community transmission for the past two years and continue to pray for each other that we come out of this community transmission with very minimal impact as possibly as can be to our health and lives,” the statement said.