Dear Editor – Let me put forward this proposal for all to see.
- A National Children’s Fund must be established through an Act of Parliament, hence responsible Ministries such as the Ministry of Women, Youth and Children and the Ministry of Health and Medical Services should setup a Working Advisory Group to think, plan & develop strategies leading up to the drafting of this very important establishment.
- SIDCCG, through its Cabinet, must ensure responsible Ministries are tasked to ensure this establishment is formulated to seriously address the plight of our children and their basic & educational aspiration,
- All parents must be held responsible and committed for their children’s welfare & upbringing, most importantly & significantly their basic and educational needs when needed most, hence the establishment of the National Children’s Fund is vital to address their current & future situation.
- Problems of abuse, illicit drugs amongst children and youths, destitution, school dropouts, illegitimate children, hunger, unwanted pregnancies and prostitution are on the rise amongst our youth and children.
- As responsible Parents and Government, we cannot just sit and watch these situations getting out of hand, deteriorated to a level beyond preventable & tolerable.
- The National Children’s Fund (NCF) shall be an investment and Social Security kind of fund for our children and young people.
- Calls for responsible authorities and the Government to seriously explore and look into this concept, vision and establishment.
Henry Star Dora