Dear Editor – On behalf of the Ontong Java Atoll Development Company and the Ontong Java Atoll community, I am once again honored to draft and present this correspondence affirming our full commitment, honorable and sustainably minded intentions; and confidence in the detailed technological, farming, and sustainable management solutions outlined for Ontong Java’s sea farm development project.
To swiftly counter any detractor’s claims that BioRock technology is in any way false, fictitious, or short of the revolutionary technology BioRock has already proven to be; I give you this.
- In 2012, at the UN Climate Summit in Brazil, Dr. Tom Goreau, inventor and practitioner of BioRock technology, for his projects in Indonesia spanning 12 years which continue successfully today, was honored for their unprecedented conservation, coral reef restoration, and sustainable lively hoods outcomes delivered by the project. Dr. Goreau, and his globally recognized non-profit organization, The Global Coral Reef Alliance were awarded the Global Equator Award for environmental and technological excellence demonstrated and proven through his work.
- Secondly, the academic qualifications of Dr. Goreau are unsurpassed, holding degrees from the world’s finest educational institutions including Undergraduate Degree from Harvard University, Masters from MIT or Massachussets Institute of Technology, and a Ph.D from CAL TEC or California Institute of Technology.
- BioRock technology is so sought after by scientists worldwide that in fact, on two separate occasions, scientists from Japan and Australia; rather than accessing the technology through the inventor who is open source for honest projects under his supervision; attempted to reverse engineer BioRock Technology without his knowledge or direction. Both known reverse engineering attempts at BioRock technology failed miserably, with each group then attempting to discredit the technology citing their inability to make the process work.
- BioRock is actively being utilized with highly successful results and ongoing expansion in Indonesia, Maldives, Philippines, Panama, Spain, and numerous other countries worldwide; full details of which can be found the Global Coral Reef Alliance website. www.globalcoral.org.
While the slanderous article of Saturday June 24th in the Solomon Star failed to acknowledge or attack any of the detailed farming techniques I presented to the Fisheries and Caucus; I nonetheless present the following statements in our own support and to reiterate our technical plan.
- The sea farming technologies presented for implementation on Ontong Java are more comprehensive, diverse, sophisticated, detailed, and aggressive in terms of farming and restocking than any other plans currently on the global stage.
- Three techniques are planned to be used; asexual reproduction which is proven, juvenile resettlement which is proven, and sexual reproduction (which is primarily used worldwide but most often at great expense with poor results) with new cost saving, larger scale, multi-species applications, and continuous efforts never before attempted.
- Core techniques are backed by tangible and definitive proofs of concept and farming success through my work in the Marshall Islands and Federated States of Micronesia; abundant evidence of which can be found on the internet via UN sponsored publications, television appearances, and with full and undeniable proof via photographic and filed reports covering the scope of my work which I have on hand.
- New farming techniques presented for implementation, though revolutionary and larger in size and scope than any known conventional work, logically build and expand upon the current state of industry knowledge and practice, and are strongly backed my conservative mathematical calculations that are virtually irrefutable by sound argument.
- Solomon Island Fisheries, and their advisors were invited by written correspondence to engage in both face to face, and detailed written questions and answers to further clarify or explain any of the proposed methods. No technical questions, queries, or requests for further details were provided.
- I have been presenting my work and farming aspirations in full written detail to the Solomon Islands Government through the Ministry of Fisheries and Solomon Islands Missions to the US and UN for over 10 years with a number of positive approvals but no follow-though due to stalling actions which I believe were, and are currently motivated by greed and corruption.
- You will find an unwavering continuity in my repeated and updated appeals to help launch this industry. While our current proposal is in essence the same as when we started in 2005, I have continued to make tangible technological improvements to my work; all of which are integrated into and will benefit the current operational work plan.
As a friendly reminder, here are a few of the overreaching benefits of the project
- Ecological sustainability through active restocking
- Equity for local participants, regular employment, normalization and maximization of income
- Full accountability and income generation for SI Government via taxation and revenue sharing
- Ecological and financial benefits naturally arising from BioRock Technology
As such, we reaffirm our willingness to collaborate with and regularly report to all necessary branches of the Solomon Islands Government on all elements of the proposed farming activities with intent to start immediately.
We once again invite and welcome the dedicated Solomon Island Fisheries staff to join the project on the ground in order to observe, participate in, and train in the new technologies intended for use in the project.
Thus we kindly thank you Excellency for your time, consideration, and continued support of this exciting and long anticipated project.
Erik W. Hagberg,
Ontong Java Atoll Development Co.