Police will be carrying out further investigations into a murder case dated way back in 2010.
The decision to allow police to make further investigations came after the defence made a representation to the prosecution seeking to withdraw the murder charge against Isaac Para.
This is due to insufficient evidence and the withdrawal was sought to be made under section 190 (2) (b) (ii) of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC).
Crown Prosecutor Willy Vaiyu yesterday said, the Director of Public Prosecution’s respond to the representation is that the matter be further investigated by police.
He said, the reason being that police got most of the witnesses’ statements after the incident when all the accused were at large.
Vaiyu said, the DPP is of the view the witnesses might not give the information that is needed.
“Therefore if the matter can be adjourned so police can get additional statement from some of the eye witnesses since all the accused are now in custody,” Vaiyu said.
The matter of Para’s co-accused Stanley Gitoa and Alphy Manedetea have already been committed to the High Court for trial.
Public Solicitor’s lawyer Ben Alasia however said, he has no instructions from Para’s lawyer Henry Kausimae.
He said, Kausimae is currently on a one week leave.
Alasia therefore also sought an adjournment to allow Kausimae to turn up in court for this matter.
Chief Magistrate Emmanuel Kouhota adjourned the matter to March 10 and further remanded Para in custody.
The three have been accused of killing a man at Tetere, East Honiara on November 11, 2010.
Prosecution alleged that on November 11, 2010 the accused men attacked the deceased and then threw heavy bricks and timbers on his chest and ribs.
Earlier in the day, Prosecution alleged that Manedetea had an argument with the deceased in a three tonne truck while on their way from the Guadalcanal Plain Palm Oil Limited (GPPOL) area to Tetere.
It was alleged the men dropped off at Tetere where they went and bought beers from a bottle shop and were drinking the beers in front of the bottle shop.
It was then alleged that Gitoa arrived at the scene and started allegedly attacking the deceased.
Manedetea, Para and others then allegedly joined in and attacked the deceased.
The men then allegedly left the deceased’s lifeless body lying where they attacked him and returned home to their village at Mbinu.
By ASSUMPTA BUCHANAN