Dear Editor – While there are NO CONFIRMED cases of Coronavirus in Solomon Islands, it is good that we do the following to help prevent a possible spread of this sickness.
- All Ministers of Holy Communion should wash their hands before distributing Holy Communion.
- Holy Communion is to be distributed only on the hands to avoid the spread of saliva on the tongue.
- Only the priest will receive the Precious Blood
- No exchange of the Sign of Peace by shaking hands; we could follow the Japanese custom which is to turn and bow your head to your neighbor.
- Holy Water fonts at the entrance of our Churches should NOT be used at this time as it could spread sickness.
The above directives are temporary until there is some control or lessening of the Coronavirus.
I would strongly recommend that people:
- DO NOT SPIT BETEL NUT in public places.
- No sharing of smoke, lime for betel nut or using one another’s cups, spoons or towels.
- We pray for healing for so many thousands of people around the world who are suffering from this sickness and we ask God to bless all scientists and doctors that they may soon find a cure for the Coronavirus.
Lastly, it seems that most of the people who have gotten sick are ‘olos’ who have some type of existing sickness.
Please look after all ‘olos’ and keep them away from anyone coughing or spitting.
God bless all people of goodwill in the Archdiocese and GOD BLESS SOLOMON ISLANDS!
Christopher M. Cardone
Archdiocese of Honiara