Minister of Finance and Treasury Snyder Rini rebutted claims by Aoke Langalanga Matthew Wale described at the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) last week that the government’s use of contingency warrant (CW) was unconstitutional.
Minister Rini while introducing the 2015 Supplementary Appropriation Bill 2015 in its second reading on Monday on the floor of Parliament said, Cabinet has approved $70million through contingency warrant.
“It is constitutional under section 103 of the constitution and section 58 of public finance management act 2013,” Rini said.
He told Parliament 2015 Supplementary Appropriation Bill formalizes an appropriation for around $37million in contingency warrants that have been issued this year under that existing and ongoing authority in the 2015 Appropriation Act.
Mr Rini stressed that Wale’s claim that the use of CW to cater for Melanesian Spearhead Group and Pacific Games participation as unconstitutional is unsubstantiated.
He explained of CW was use as a response to national call for a participation in the event, participated that exceeded the initial intentions of the Government to provide support.
“In these cases additional expenditures were needed because in my view, and that of the Cabinet, any delay would have resulted in detrimental effects to the public interest.”
Wale’s position at PAC hearing into the 2015 supplementary appropriation bill 2015, the Government should allocate budget for these events under relevant ministries to avoid the use of CW.
Speaker adjourned the second reading debate on the Bill but will resume this morning to give ample time for MPs to study the content of the bill.
By ELLIOT DAWEA