PM says Dr Sikua irresponsible and power hungry
Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare says that no amount of press conferences held by the Independent Leader Dr Derek Sikua, will change the government’s position to rehabilitate the former combatants.
Dr Sikua told local reporters last Thursday that the decision to make cash payments to some former MEF militants by the PM and the DCC Government was a knee-jerk reaction to a calculated move orchestrated by the PM himself on or around late October or early November last year.
But Prime Minister Sogavare bluffed the accusation as coming from a very frustrated man.
“What is driving his concerns in this matter is simply power hunger. It is a clear display by someone hungry for power,” he said.
Dr. Sikua claimed the package was devised as a hooker to lure political support at the time the DCC government was facing political upheaval when a number of backbenchers and Ministers, including himself left the DCCG camp to join the Opposition and Independent Group to move a No Confidence Motion against the Prime Minister.
But Mr Sogavare said this was the most irresponsible statement coming from a statesman of such caliber.
“Let me make it clear, whether or not the government was pressured is not the issue and Dr. Sikua is free to draw whatever conclusion he likes, but that will not change the government’s position,” he added
He said the government had made a deliberate policy decision to rehabilitate the former combatants, addressing a long standing concern of the former combatants.
The Prime Minister said his Press Secretariat will provide a full detailed response to Dr.Sikua’s “blatant and irresponsible statement”.
By ELLIOT DAWEA