PEOPLE living in Gizo, Western Province have been warned of the danger of inhaling asbestos from the burnt old Gizo hospital complex.
In a statement from the health authority in Gizo this week, the call was made following the burning of the facility on Friday last week.
Asbestos is a highly toxic chemical that can cause severe respiratory diseases.
“Please keep away from the old burned down Gizo hospital compound because of the risk of inhaling asbestos chemical.
“Do not touch or collect any broken remains from the burnt buildings. These remains are contagious and can cause medical casualties,” the statement from the Director of Gizo hospital said.
People are also being warned to stay behind the police sealed off tapes, when going around the sealed off area.
“Attention to authorities, experts and team assessors please wear proper safety face mask before you enter. Ask hospital security personnel for safety masks before enter”.
The communities near the burnt complex were also urged to disconnect tank gutter from water tanks for a period of time, as chemical compounds from the site maybe carried by wind to residential homes.
This is to allow rain to wash away particles from the copper roofs.
By RONALD TOITO’ONA