A FAMILY living at Burnscreek area east Honiara was shocked on Tuesday to find a piece of foreign object inside a canned Mamei curry chicken.
Again it’s a piece of cloth believed to be a bandage.
Cecilia Philemon whose family fall victim to the discovery said, the canned curry chicken was taken from her small family canteen at home.
Following the discovery she brought the tin of curry chicken to the Solomon Star office.
She said, her family was about to have late lunch at 3pm. And it was her brother who discovered the piece of foreign object after trying to consume it.
“My brother was eating his share. And he only discovered that it was a foreign object after he was trying to bite it off in his mouth. However, he found it very strong. When he realized that it was strong to bite he pulled it out for investigation and that’s when he found out that it was a foreign object like a rope at the first place,” Ms Philemon said.
She then took the piece and washed it thoroughly with water and that’s when she was able to confirm that it was a piece of bandage.
Most of the family members decided to stop eating and the brother urged her sister to raise the matter through the media.
“This is to show to the public that we need to be careful when eating those foreign canned products.
“I have seen this and it was bandage wool like those that nurses normally use in clinics and hospitals to dress sores and wounds.
“So be careful my good people. Don’t ever attempt to buy these products. Make sure open such canned product, check its content before consuming it.”
Following the incident the family promised themselves not to buy that canned product again because most of these products are not safe and may affect people’s health.
She added that previously families have found such things inside luncheon meat, cup noodle and now its curry chicken again.
“I believe all those discoveries last month and this month should have given us enough warnings to quite eating such canned and tinned product and focus more on our local foods,” she revealed.
Meanwhile, national radio broadcaster yesterday reported that a man from the Western province discovered a syringe in one of the luncheon meat products.
By LESLEY SANGA
The man bought the canned meat from Gizo and was about to eat it with his family when the item was discovered.