U17 star-midfielder fails Medical check, say SIFF
By ULUTAH GINA
The Solomon Islands Football Federation (SIFF) has clarified news of the omission of the National Under-17 star-midfielder Maxwell Keana that he has failed to pass a Medical test and not as an over-aged player as reported.
This has forced him not to participate in the World Cup in Brazil though he was part of the Provisional list of 24 players.
The clarification came amidst news circulating in the social media which was wrongly interpreted by football critics, Saturday.
In a brief statement, the country’s main football body SIFF said Keana was omitted after he failed his medical check at the National Referral Hospital in Honiara.
“He was initially named in the Provisional list of 24 players but due to his medical result.
“The team management had no option but to make a replacement on Monday 7 October before the deadline to submit the final list to FIFA on Tuesday 8 October 2019,” SIFF has stated.
The statement added that the medical check is a pre-tournament check-up for players arranged by the Solomon Islands Football Federation (SIFF) with a doctor at the NRH.
Prior to the social media speculations, Sunday Star Gizo was told that the youngster was in tears and regretting his decision to withdraw from his school last year, after being with the squad for 2 years preparing for the World Cup.
Meanwhile, an official statement from SIFF to clarify the omission of the player will be made soon.
Maxwell Keana is currently playing for Kossa FC in the TSL League’s 2019-2020 season.