About 20-30 people have been hospitalized at Gizo hospital after eating fish bought from Gizo Fish Market.
It was suspected the fish poison may have caused as a result of the oil spill from the sunken vessel MV Kosco last month.
Those affected got diarrhoea and vomiting.
A visit by this paper to the hospital yesterday shows patients are undergoing treatment at the provincial hospital.
A father whose three member of his family affected told this paper that they were lucky to seek emergency support from Gizo Ambulance to seek medical attention.
Among the family member affected is a 3 year old baby including a mother and her young sister.
The father said they bought some reef fish and bonito at the Gizo market on Friday with a hope for family meal on the Sabbath Day.
But what supposed to be good meal turns out bad.
After eating the fish on the Sabbath three of his family members got affected with symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting.
“It was so lucky for me. I have to call the Ambulance immediately to rescue my family and now they are slowly recovering,” the father said.
It was also reported that there were similar cases occurred in different areas within residence of Gizo town.
Most of the victims who bought fish at the Gizo Fish Market since last week and up to this date still got sick.
Gizo Hospital at the moment receives an increasing number of people sick with diarrhoea and vomiting.
A nurse at the Out Patient Gizo says currently viral diarrhoea that usually occurred also spreading this month.
“However with the recent case of the food poisoning, this is another story,” the nurse said.
Nurses were told that it was lucky for the family to quickly seek an emergency help with the help of the new Ambulance vehicle belongs to Gizo Hospital.
“If they delay to reach the hospital their lives can be lost especially for the 3 year old baby” sister of the victim said.
The Western Provincial Medical Authority also suspected the cause of the food poisoning is caused by the recent sinking of a passenger ship namely MV Kosco last month in January.
Gizo residence also suspected that the oil spill of the sunken vessel could be the possible reason why people get sick after eating fresh fish that was sold at the Gizo market.
Meanwhile the Medical Authority urges the public to take precautions when buying fish at the market.
By ULUTAH GINA
Solomon Star, Gizo